What glazing do I need for my windows or doors?

Once you have decided on your joinery requirements and have discussed all elements of the timber, it’s time to think about the glazing aspect for your windows or doors and there are a number of aspects you will need to think about.

Whilst we still offer single glazing as an option, to comply with building regulations and to provide thermal efficiency, double glazing is the preferred choice. Double and triple glazing can both be fitted into your external windows and doors and with ever increasing energy costs, it is worth thinking about the energy efficiency and sound reduction that the investment of double glazing can provide.

Windows and doors can also have their thermal performance improved with insulated glazing, incorporating gas fills within the space between the panes. Gas such as Argon or Krypton is used which provides excellent thermal insulation.

If you live in a period property within a conservation area, you may want to consider the use of conservation double glazed units. These have a smaller sight line and are designed for use in period windows and doors with restricted depth and fine glazing bars.

We pride ourselves on replicating traditional joinery such as sliding sash windows, traditional flush casement windows and period doors, all of which can incorporate double glazing. By using conservation double glazing units you can maintain the character of the original features, whilst improving efficiency through your new glazing. If you live in a conservation area you may need to obtain local authority permission for this work which we can provide more information about and assist you when considering the glazing options for your project.

Glazing options can also include, obscure or clear, solar self- cleaning glass for conservatory and lantern roofs and toughened or laminated safety glass.

When you have decided on your joinery project, we will be on hand to help with any queries you may have about the glazing required.